“We can do this!” The Costly Miscalculation Part II

Continued from last week…

“You’re going to do what!” she yelled. “You’re crazy!”

Carol wasn’t buying my logic. I tried again. “It is no different than doing a long run just before a marathon,” I pleaded.

“You can barely walk. That’s not the same!”

It was Thursday, the fifth day after my failed marathon attempt. I wasn’t in pain anymore and had become obsessed with my latest idea. I was going to run the Pueblo marathon on Saturday. I know…crazy, right? Nevertheless, I was convinced that I could do another marathon, as long as it was on a flat course. Plus, I just couldn’t let three months of training go down the drain without a completed marathon. I just couldn’t.

“But I’m going to need your help,” I added.

“You definitely need help,” she joked.

I smiled. “Funny…I’m serious however. I need you to come with me to Pueblo.”

“I’m not running a marathon,” Carol shot back.

“I know Carol. What I need is for you to run the last six miles with me. Will you do that?”

I could tell by her tone of voice that she was going to say yes.

“I actually think that is a very good idea, especially considering your condition,” she mused. “Okay, I’ll go with you.”

I knew in that instance that enrolling Carol as my support team was not only the right thing to do but something I should have done the week before. Why do I always learn things the hard way? I thought to myself as I hung up the phone.

Little did I know what lied ahead…


The sun was just coming up from the east. It was 6 am and a cool 45-degrees outside. Carol wanted to run the first two miles with me before taking off for a leisurely breakfast. She was enjoying the whole experience.


“I’ll plan to meet you at the 20-mile mark in about three hours, okay?” she said as she trailed off from the course.

I nodded, quietly wondering if I could run the next eighteen miles in three hours. Clearly my confidence wasn’t where it needed to be.

There was only 150 runners in this marathon; a far cry from the 400+ in Boulder the week before. In one sense, it was nice to have so much room between runners. In another sense, I could literally run for a mile or two and not see a single person. It was kind of eerie. Negative thoughts began passing through my head. What if I get into trouble? Will anyone be able to find me? And then a more disturbing thought, I have no way to contact Carol should something happen!

Marathons have a way of playing mind games with you, especially if you are in any kind of pain. And, as self-fulfilling prophecies go, by the time I hit the 13-mile mark, the lactic acid build-up in my calves and thighs came back with a vengeance. The pain was excruciating. Panic came over me as the course moved through a dense forest. No! Not again!

By mile-14, I was once again diminished to walking, while wondering what was worse…the intense pain in my legs or the intense disappointment I was feeling. It was like I was forced to watch the same bad movie two weeks in a row, unable to change the channel. Why, I couldn’t even muster the energy to look up and acknowledge the remaining few runners in the race as they passed me by. Not only was I in last place by this point, but in serious jeopardy of not finishing the marathon…again!

I looked at my watch. The three-hour timeframe Carol proposed had already passed. Here she was waiting for me at mile-20 and I have no way to tell her that I’m only at mile-17 and walking at a snail’s-pace. The temperature was now over 90-degrees as the course moved out from under the trees to the open desert. My God, it’s hot! And to top it off, there was no shade in sight, let alone any runners…or race officials…or even a race truck to scrape up disabled runners…nothing. At this point, whatever pride I had left from the last marathon was long gone. This was now about survival…and that meant I had to get to mile-20. There was no other way to end this nightmare.

Slowly…methodically, I put one leg in front of the other and kept moving. Walking had never become so difficult. As mile-19 came and went, I could feel my hopes start to rise. Surely I can make it one more mile.

And then, off in the far distance, I could see it; the 20-mile mark was within reach. Finally, I could put an end to this marathon obsession of mine for the last time…and ironically at the same 20-mile mark that did me in the previous week.

As I approached, I noticed an ambulance was parked alongside the left side of road, obviously waiting for the last runner to either pass by or hop in the back. And there on the right side, with a big smile on her face, was Carol, looking at me as if I had just come back from the dead. What a welcome sight!

She then gives me a big hug and helps me over to a shaded area where we sit down. My emotions are overflowing as I lament about my aches and pains and the physical toll the last seven miles had taken on me. My legs were aching so much that I had to rock back and forth in an attempt to distract myself from the pain.

“What do you want to do?” asked Carol, very concerned.

“I can’t go on. This whole thing was a bad idea,” I cried out.

Carol squeezes my arm. “We don’t have to do anything right now, let’s just sit here for a while.”

“I blew it.,” I said, shaking my head. “You told me I was crazy and I ignored you. I’m sorry.”

Another 20-minutes passed by. Just then the ambulance pulls out and takes off down the road. Carol and I look at each other…and immediately start laughing.

“Now I’m really screwed,” I joked, still laughing at my predicament.

Carol gets up and looks over at me. “Hey, why don’t we just walk a little together,” as she points towards mile-21. “We can quit at any time…but the car is in that direction anyway.”

Feeling a little better, I agree, “As long as we have to go that way anyway, why not.”

The 20th mile of the Pueblo marathon will always go down as a turning point for me. Had Carol not been there, I would have given up on my dream and taken a ride in the ambulance back to my car. Why not! It would have been essentially the same thing I did the previous week. But Carol was there, and here we were walking towards mile-21, chatting away as good friends do, one step after the other.

When we came up to the 21-mile mark, my legs were pounding so bad that I was forced to sit down again. “Where did you park the car?” I asked, while rocking back and forth in pain.

She looked at me apologetically, “Near the finish line. But don’t worry; we can catch a ride over there.”

We sat for twenty more minutes.

“Do you want to try walking again?” she asked.

By now the pulsating sensation had gone down. “Sure. We have to go that way anyway,” I said, wondering if we’d ever reach the 22-mile mark on foot.

We trudged on for what seemed like the longest time.

 “At this rate, I don’t think we’re going to ever see mile-22,” I complained, wondering how we were going to ‘catch a ride’ as Carol suggested.

“Over there!” points Carol.

I look up and couldn’t believe my eyes. It was the mile-23 marker!

“No way!” I exclaim. “Where did mile-22 go?”

Carol looks at me with a smile and says, “Greg, we can do this!”

“Do what?”

“We can finish this marathon,” she says.

Because I had already dismissed any possibility of finishing this marathon, I resisted.
“Carol, let’s just get out of here. I’m done with this.”

“That fine,” she said. “I just thought that since we are so close that maybe…”

“Maybe what?”

“Greg, since mile-20 we’ve already walked over three miles. Do you realize in three more miles we’ll be at the finish line?”

Then, out of nowhere, a smile reemerged on my face. “Do you think we can? I mean, do you think I can?”

“We’re doing it now.” she says.

I perked up. A long-lost skip appeared in my step. I started to imagine the finish line instead of the car as my final destination. And get this…I started to jog!

The adrenalin that pulled me through all those months of marathon training took over. We passed through mile-24 and then mile-25. Five hours had passed since the start of the race and here we were merging onto Main Street in downtown Pueblo in a full-out run for the finish line. City workers are cheering us (while picking up the cones behind us). Cars are honking. Runners who finished hours earlier are passing us in the opposite direction, giving us high fives.

“We are going to do this,” I scream.

“I told you,” shouted Carol as she pulled out and watched me cross the finish line.

And guess what?

I got the same exact participation medallion that I got the week before when I had to be scrapped up on mile-20. And yes, I have them both out for all to see.

What I learned from this experience:

  • It’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help; it’s a sign of strength
  • Things that are worth doing are worth doing with others
  • Carol had no agenda for me other than to simply be there for me
  • With support, we can overcome anything and achieve anything

Thank you Carol wherever you are.


  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: